WHAT IS BUILDING STEAM?
Building Steam is an eleven-week program to help runners, potential runners, and walkers prepare for the Steamboat Classic 4 Mile Race. It is a proven program that puts participants of similar abilities together with motivated and understanding volunteer coaches. Our goal is that all participants finish the four miles of the Steamboat Classic successfully. You will make new friends as you train and practice. We offer weekly discussions on strength and stretching, visualization, nutrition, physical therapy, sports massage, sports medicine, and safety. Our other goals are to have fun, to feel better, and to learn some valuable lessons of fitness. And, of course, there's the finish line. We want you to enjoy and finish the Steamboat Classic just like so m any others have.
WHO IS IN BUILDING STEAM?
One fifth of all Steamboat Classic participants and most of our coaches are graduates of Building Steam. The cross-section of prior participants includes friends, family, and coworkers – new runners, walkers, and the health conscious. We include people who want to feel better, be less sedentary, lose a little weight, or get started or back to running or walking. Many of us couldn't run the first night or the first month, but we crossed that finish line just like the elite runners! Some of us came as a team of coworkers or on a dare. Some of us build for the Steamboat Classic every year because we only run in one race a year, but we MUST be in the Steamboat Classic. Many of us just stay in it because we like to say we ran with world champions – just further back in the pack and a little slower. We participate in Peoria's most prestigious sporting event and we know that unique thrill that only a few people ever know. We want you to share that feeling.
WHAT WILL WE DO?
Sign up now, then bring a friend or come a make new ones at the orientation session the week of March 30th to one of our four Building Steam training locations. We will introduce ourselves and the program, and share our plans for the next ten Wednesdays. On the second night, the week of April 7th, wear supportive running or walking shoes and comfortable clothes. After our brief introduction, we will walk, jog, or run along the Peoria riverfront. Come for the fun, come for the fitness, come for a dare, or come for the challenge; but don't put off what you know you want to do – JOIN US! Let's Build some Steam for the Steamboat Classic on June 20, 2015.
Entry Fees Including Race Entry
- $80.00 for participants age 19–64 on race day
- $50.00 for participants under 19 or over 64 on race day
Just think, you get 10 weeks of coaching, a participants-only Building Steam T-Shirt, a training log, and your fee INCLUDES your entry into the 2015 Steamboat Classic (with its own original T-Shirt). The camaraderie is priceless. Some of our best friends are runners and fitness walkers; and we want you too!
- Registration: Wednesday April 1, 5:15 to 6:15 p.m., RiverPlex, 600 NE Water Street
- Orientation: Wednesday April 1, 6:15 to 7:00 p.m., RiverPlex, 600 NE Water Street
- Training Sessions: starting April 8, 6:00 p.m. Wednesdays, – All training groups meet on Wednesdays at the RiverPlex, 600 NE Water Street
- Registration: Thursday April 2, 5:00 to 6:15 p.m., Five Points Washington, 360 N. Wilmor Rd.
- Orientation: Thursday April 2, 6:15 to 7:00 p.m., Five Points Washington, 360 N. Wilmor Rd.
- Training Sessions: starting April 9, 6:00 p.m. Thursdays – All training groups meet on Thursdays at the Five Points Washington, 360 N. Wilmor Rd.