WHAT IS RISING STEAM?
Rising Steam focuses on beginning runners and walkers, 6th-12th graders in preparation for the Steamboat Classic 4 Mile and 2 Mile Race. Rising Steam is fairly new training program. It's a proven success through the Scouting Steam which helps to prepare Boy Scouts not only for the Steamboat Classic Race, but helps them to complete their Personal Fitness Merit Badge, required for Eagle Scout. Rising Steam puts participants of similar abilities together with motivated and understanding volunteer coaches. The unique part of Rising Steam is the parental/guardian involvement. Parents and guardians are invited to participate in Rising Steam with their child or parents and guardians can participate in Building Steam while their child participates in Rising Steam. Running and walking is a great activity for families to participate together.
WHO IS IN RISING STEAM?
Rising Steam is designed for beginning runners and walkers, 6th-12th graders and their families in preparation for the Steamboat Classic 4 Mile and 2 Mile Race.
WHAT WILL WE DO?
Sign up now, then bring a friend or come a make new ones at the orientation session the week of March 30, 2015 to one of our four Rising Steam training locations. We will introduce ourselves and the program, and share our plans for the next ten Wednesdays. For the second week, wear supportive running or walking shoes and comfortable clothes. After our brief introduction, we will walk, jog, or run together. Come for the fun, come for the fitness, come for a dare, or come for the challenge; but don't put off what you know you want to do – JOIN US! Let's Build some Steam for the Steamboat Classic on June 20, 2015.
OKAY! WHEN AND WHERE?
Building Steam is being offered at four convenient locations: Chillicothe, Morton, Peoria, and Washington. The week of March 30th we will start with an orientation session at each of the four Building Steam training locations. Our weekly sessions continue for the next ten weeks, and conclude with the attainment of our goal: the finish line of the Steamboat Classic on Saturday, June 20th. Seeking for another opportunity to run and build confidence? Join us every Monday (starting on April 6th) at 6 p.m. at Woodruff High School for informal runs!
WHAT IS THE COST AND HOW DO I JOIN?
Entry Fees Including Race Entry
- $80.00 for participants age 19–64 on race day
- $50.00 for participants under 19 or over 64 on race day
Just think, you get 11 weeks of coaching, a participants-only Building Steam T-Shirt, a training log, and your fee INCLUDES your entry into the 2015 Steamboat Classic (with its own original T-Shirt). The camaraderie is priceless. Some of our best friends are runners and fitness walkers; and we want you too!
- Registration: Wednesday April 1, 5:15 to 6:15 p.m., RiverPlex, 600 NE Water Street
- Orientation: Wednesday April 1, 6:15 to 7:00 p.m., RiverPlex, 600 NE Water Street
- Training Sessions: starting April 8, 6:00 p.m. Wednesdays, – All training groups meet on Wednesdays at the RiverPlex, 600 NE Water Street
- Registration: Thursday April 2, 5:15 to 6:15 p.m., Five Points Washington, 360 N. Wilmor Rd.
- Orientation: Thursday April 2, 6:15 to 7:00 p.m., Five Points Washington, 360 N. Wilmor Rd.
- Training Sessions: starting April 9, 6:00 p.m. Thursdays – All training groups meet on Thursdays at the Five Points Washington, 360 N. Wilmor Rd.